Friday, May 24, 2013

A Big Blogging Mistake That May be Costing You

Writing about being a freelancer, for freelancers was actually hindering it, but not for the reason you might think. It didn’t matter that I was training lots of other bloggers and designers to get into the freelance game as well. Everyone has their own work flow and aesthetic – clients that want to work with them them will work them and clients that want my style and aesthetic will hire me. That wasn’t the issue at all.

I wasn’t until I took the time to nail down WHO I was writing this blog for that I realized my mistake….about a quarter of my blog posts were geared toward other designers or potential designers – the last people on earth that would possibly be interested in hiring me! I loved sharing what I learned as I built my freelance business, but I really should have been writing posts to show off what I know about design, business, blogging, marketing, or social media, which would be more likely to draw in paying clients.

I often call my blog my ‘big marketing machine,’ but it could have been doing a much better job drawing in people who wanted to work with me, not just learn from me.

If you’re trying to build a business and sell products, you gotta get clear on who your ideal reader is and create content for them, not other bloggers or business owners in your niche.

0 comments:

Post a Comment